Social Icons

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Talking about Occupations


Speak  English speaking Beginner

Match the occupation with the daily activity.
      Occupation
    1. Mechanic
    2. Teacher
    3. Dentist
    4. Doctor/Nurse 
    5. Journalist
    6. Fisherman
    7. Gardener
    8. Chef/Cook
    9. Fire fighter
    10. Photographer
      Activity
    1. catch fish
    2. take pictures
    3. fix cars
    4. cook meals
    5. pull teeth
    6. plant flowers
    7. put out fires
    8. take care of patients
    9. teach classes
    10. write news stories

Use the occupations and activities to make conversations like the one above.





Mark: Hi Peter! How are you doing these days?
Peter: Oh, Hi Mark. I'm not doing very well, actually.
Mark: I'm sorry to hear that. What seems to be the problem?
Peter: ... you know I've been looking for work. I can't seem to find a job.
Mark: That's too bad. Why did you leave your last job?
Peter: Well, my boss treated me badly, and I didn't like my chances of advancing in the company.
Mark: That makes sense. A job without opportunities AND a difficult boss isn't very attractive.
Peter: Exactly! So, anyway, I decided to quit and find a new job. I sent out my resume to more than twenty companies. Unfortunately, I've only had two interviews so far.
Mark: Have you tried looking online for a job?
Peter: Yes, but so many of the jobs require moving to another city. I don't want to do that.
Mark: I can understand that. How about going to some of those networking groups?
Peter: I haven't tried those. What are they?
Mark: They're groups of people who are also looking for work. They help each other discover new opportunities.
Peter: That sounds great. I'll definitely try some of those.
Mark: I'm glad to hear that. So, what are you doing here?
Peter: Oh, I'm shopping for a new suit. I want to make the best impression possible at my job interviews!
Mark: There you go. That's the spirit. I'm sure things will look up for you soon.
Peter: Yes, you're probably right. I hope so!
Reported Conversation
Mark: I saw Peter today.
Susan: How's he doing?
Mark: Not too well, I'm afraid.
Susan: Why's that?
Mark: He told me had been looking for work, but hadn't found a job.
Susan: That surprises me. Was he fired or did he quit his last job?
Mark: He told me his boss had treated him badly. He also said he didn't like his chances of advancing in the company.
Susan: Quitting doesn't sound like a very wise decision to me.
Mark: That's true. But he's been working hard at finding a new job.
Susan: What's he done?
Mark: He said he had sent out his resumes to more than twenty companies. Unfortunately, he told me that only two had called him for an interview.
Susan: That's tough.
Mark: Tell me about it. However, I gave him some advice and I hope it helps.
Susan: What did you suggest?
Mark: I suggested joining a networking group.
Susan: That's a great idea.
Mark: Yes, well, he told me he would try a few groups.
Susan: Where did you see him?
Mark: I saw him at the mall. He told me he was shopping for a new suit.
Susan: What?! Buying new clothes and no work!
Mark: No, no. He said he wanted to make the best impression possible at his job interviews.
Susan: Oh, that makes sense.

Worksheets to download and print
1. Read!
2. Learn!
3. Practise!
4. Test yourself!
5. Play! Occupations

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About